Is There A Reason To Be Concerned About Smart Home Hacking In Tampa?
In a variety of ways, smart components like security cameras and video doorbells have enhanced our security. We are able to get notifications if a stranger walks up to our front door, and we can have footage delivered to us when dubious behavior is found. Having components we can communicate with via the internet warns us of prospective threats instantaneously. But there is one primary downside. The access we enjoy is also opening a door online invasions.
Although you don’t need to get yourself in a panic worrying about smart home hacking in Tampa, you need to be aware of the potential safety issue and take action to steer clear of it.
Methods To Prevent Smart Home Hacking
Almost anything is able to be linked to the internet these days - your home’s security devices, smart lights, and even your fridge. This also generates more pathways for hackers to break into your network. With that being said, you don’t have to eschew wireless home security systems or other smart devices. Instead, consider these suggestions and do what you can to keep intruders out of your network.
- Protect with hard-to-crack passwords: This is a requirement for every account, including your home Wi-Fi. Use lower and upper casing and a mix of letters, special characters, and numbers. Stay away from birth dates, street names, or other things hackers may easily determine. A password fabricator will supply you with something absolutely random and a password manager will aid you in keeping tabs on your various passwords and accounts.
- Change default settings: When setting up that new router, chances are it will come with a preset password to help you get started. Don’t forget to update it. Hackers will have these default passwords too. Setting up your wireless network and home router properly at the start is critical in keeping you protected.
- Consider a separate network: Why have your smart fridge, your home security components, and your home computer on one network? Many routers will let you initiate a separate guest network. Make use of it and safeguard private material found on your desktop, laptop, and phone.
- Consider installing a firewall: Firewalls aren’t only for commercial networks. They may also be used on personal network. Firewalls are able to pay close attention to your network’s traffic and thwart questionable activity. You could begin with a router that offers an incorporated firewall.
- Use the top encryption settings and security protocols: If you have a new router, you will likely have the chance to utilize WPA3, the current wireless security protocol. If that’s not available, WPA2 with AES encryption is still a good choice. You need to look for home security devices that use 128-bit or higher.
- Make sure software and firmware is up-to-date: Keep your software and firmware at the latest levels for all components, which includes your connected surveillance units. In some cases, these updates will fix various susceptibilities and bolster your network security.
Beware of Cheap Smart Home Components In Tampa
When choosing a respected company like ADT, you’ll discover that any security vulnerabilities in surveillance systems or other tools are handled in a timely and professional fashion. Other lesser-known brands might not be quite as diligent. Getting your smart thermostat, video doorbell, surveillance system, and other smart devices from one source like ADT makes sense. And having all of your systems hooked up at once will help ensure proper implementation, operation, and security. It’s important to note that ADT Command, your centralized touchscreen, utilizes two-way encryption when engaging with with your connected devices.
Customize Your Own Tampa Home Security System
Since you now have a greater understanding on how to keep your home network shielded from hackers, you’re ready to begin designing your own smart home security system in Tampa. The security experts at Secure24 Alarm Systems are ready to find the ideal package for your family. Contact us at (813) 355-0757 or fill out the form to get started.